This activity takes the concept of our Magic Potions experiment into a new direction with a different sensory sensation.
For this you will need to make your base playdough mixture and your magic mixer compound. Create the base mixture first to avoid contamination from the magic mixer ingredients. Keep the dough and magic mixture separate until experimenting to also avoid contamination.
- 1/4 Red cabbage
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 3 tbsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp oil
- Boil your red cabbage in a pot of water until all the colour has come out into the water. Remove cabbage leaves.
- Combine flour, salt and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl. Add oil and 2 cups of boiling cabbage water. Mix to form a dough and knead as it cools until your smooth play dough has formed.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups bi carb soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine flour and bi carb soda in a mixing bowl.
- Add water and mix together to form a dough. If it isn't sticking together add the extra tbsp of water.
Invite children to take some base play dough and add some magic mixter to discover colour-changing playdough. Starting from pink, their magic mixer will take them through shades of purple, blue and teal as they work it through. The mixture will darken to more of a green if it is left to dry. Combined, the playdough will last sealed, for further play.
We love seeing when you try our tutorials and love to give back by sharing your creations.