Invitation to Create a Zen Garden
Zen gardens have existed since the 14th century and are incredibly beneficial to releasing stress and practising mindfulness. Invite your child(ren) to create their own mini zen garden makes it personalised to them while they are also learning what a zen garden is and how it works for them as they use is afterwards.
- Sand or fine gravel
- Smooth pebbles
- Crystals (optional)
- Greenery such as an air plant or succulent
- Rake (you can buy mini zen garden rakes online)
- Bowls or trays to put the materials in separately and a scoop
- Any additional items you wish to add
Setting up your invitation
- Put the sand or fine gravel in a bowl with a scoop. Arrange pebbles, crystals and any extras on a tray. Supply an empty tray or flat bowl for the child to create their zen garden in.
- Invite your child(ren) to create their own zen garden. They are the masters of their garden, scooping in their own sand/gravel and decorating as they wish.
- Once their garden is done they can begin raking it. Afterwards pick an area where the zen garden can live and be used in times to help regulate emotions.